Overview:
The move follows directives issued by the Ministry of Health and the Uganda National Task Force on Ebola Virus Disease (EVD), chaired by Vice President Jessica Alupo. The emergency measures include the suspension of public transport between Uganda and the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), closure of border open markets, and restriction of other cross-border activities.
Uganda Airlines has confirmed the suspension of flights between Entebbe and Kinshasa effective Saturday, May 23, citing passenger and public safety concerns amid heightened Ebola prevention measures.
The move follows directives issued by the Ministry of Health and the Uganda National Task Force on Ebola Virus Disease (EVD), chaired by Vice President Jessica Alupo. The emergency measures include the suspension of public transport between Uganda and the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), closure of border open markets, and restriction of other cross-border activities.
While the taskforce announced that the restrictions would last four weeks, Uganda Airlines stated that its suspension of flights to Kinshasa would remain in place indefinitely, “until further notice.”
In a statement released Friday evening, the airline said the decision was taken “as a precautionary measure in the interest of the health, safety and well-being of our passengers, crew and the wider public.”
Uganda Airlines currently operates four weekly flights to Kinshasa using its Bombardier CRJ aircraft. The route was launched in December 2020.
However, President Yoweri Museveni appeared unconvinced by the decision to suspend flights, describing it as a reaction driven by panic. Speaking during the opening of the Pearl of Africa Tourism Expo (POATE) on Thursday, Museveni said he would engage the taskforce on the matter, arguing that alternative measures could effectively prevent the spread of Ebola from the DRC without halting air travel.
The Uganda Civil Aviation Authority later confirmed that all flights between Uganda and the DRC had been suspended, referencing an announcement made by Uganda Media Centre Director Allan Kasujja on his X account.
A total of five airlines operate scheduled flights between Entebbe and Kinshasa — Uganda Airlines, Kenya Airways, RwandAir, Ethiopian Airlines, and Air Congo — and all services on the route have now been suspended.
